The last time I wrote anything similar to a blog was when I had a Tumblr (lol). I don't even want to call it a blog. Journal? Gross. They're both gross. I'm not sure how or if I'll transition into the whole "daily blog" or "write about these pics" at all, but I think it would be nice to kick off the new year with some vaguely sentimental text.
There's no order of preference or anything - I value these moments almost all equally. Despite the madness swelling up in the States, I had a great time in 2017 and wouldn't trade it for the world. I achieved fluency in my mother's native language, I learned the difference between liquor and liqueur (and how to properly mix them), and I lived with a boyfriend and didn't want to kill myself. And adopted a very tiny, very smelly younger sister. Here's proof.
Without further ado -
TRAVELING in japan
wwoofing in japan & exploring close to kansai
There are so many more photos I wanted to upload (and I think 6 is almost excessive), but here are some snapshots from my Japan travels that are especially memorable. In order from left to right:
- Kikuchi City, Kumamoto 菊池市 - WWOOFing for three weeks in Kikuchi City with my partner Kai. We stayed on an organic farm. It's a photo of the front yard where we'd pick morning glories twice a day and set them to dry in the shack. Tenchan's pool. Drying rack.
- Osaka Castle, Osaka 大阪城 - Ume blossoms at Osaka Castle. Beautiful day, lots of Japanese walking around having picnics. Also lots of Japanese showing off their weird dressed up dogs.
- Hakone 箱根- Hakone trip with Kai, Zoe, and Robert in early March. This is where we tried onsen eggs and stayed at a sweet traditional home.
- Ibusuki, Kagoshima 指宿市- Trip to Ibusuki Onsen with Marichan and Obaachan. Tried the famous sunaburo (sand bath) for the first time. Didn't like it that much. Too heavy.
- Tanbaya, Hyogo 丹波や - Pottery studio that Kai and his Japanese family took me to in Tanbaya. We all made our own bowls and plates and had them fired up and shipped. It was about $30/head and they didn't send us what we actually made ..but still fun af.
- Fushimi Inari, Kyoto 伏見稲荷大社- Day trip with Marichan and Obaachan during a crazy snowy day. This was right in the beginning of 2017.
sharing my life
friends from around the world & friends from nj
I don't know anyone else crazy enough to move to a new city with a random girl they've only known for 2 months and live with her for 6. Fireworks in Osaka. Quick vacation to Railay, Thailand.
don't think i forgot!
In 2017 I had to say goodbye to Crumbles, but she was strong enough to wait for me to come home to say goodbye. But shortly after we were lucky enough to invite a new family member into our home. Momo!